Let’s make adorable Unicorn Horn Salt Bars!
If you are new to soap making be sure to learn the basics before attempting this advanced design tutorial. Check out our free cold process soap making guide. Be sure to follow all safety precautions when making soap. Wear goggles and gloves.
What is a salt bar?
A salt bar is typically a soap made with 50-100% of oil weight in salt. For example, if your salt bar recipe contains 32 oz. of coconut oil and 8 oz. of castor oil, then you would use 20 – 40 oz. of sea salt.
Why on earth would we want to make a salt bar?
- Sea salt is purifying, drawing and acts as an astringent.
- Salt bars last FOREVER in the shower. In my experience, they last longer than regular bar soap. (This is a great selling point.)
- Salt bars are hard! Salt soap cures out super hard. Salt bars are great for individual cavity molds that you can’t usually use with your regular recipe. The soap gets hard fast and will pop right out.
- They are inexpensive to make. Salt bars contain mostly coconut oil (a cheaper oil than say…olive oil or shea butter) and sea salt, thus creating a pretty inexpensive bar of soap.
- They are easily marketed as spa type or facial bars of soap. Customer love to hear about the benefits of sea salt and will pay more money for these special bars of soap.
Unicorn Horn Salt Bar Recipe
- Coconut Oil – 405 grams (90%)
- Shea Butter – 45 grams (10%)
- Sodium Hydroxide – 63 grams (20% superfat)
- Water – 126 grams
- Fine Sea Salt – 225 grams
- Lavender Essential Oil – 10 grams
- Lemongrass Essential Oil – 10 grams
- Queens Purple Mica – 1/2 teaspoon
- Voodoo Mica – 1/2 teaspoon
- Caribbean Blue Mica – 1/2 teaspoon
This soap is all about the mold! Grab the mold on Amazon (affiliate link).
Check out the video below to see how to make it!
For more natural salt bar soap recipes, be sure to check out my eBook, Making Salt Bars – Creating Decadent Spa Bars by Combining Sea Salt and Cold Process Soap!
It is really enjoyable to visit your website because you have such an amazing writing style.
Your article is really amazing. Thank you for sharing with us.
Lovely thanks for your lovely article.
Sea Salt is one the best ingredient we have (y)
Amanda Gail: Thanks for sharing, Bingoo..!!!